Friday 18 January 2008

See you on the other side?

I knew I had to make a choice. As Huw Edwards introduced the report on last night’s BBC news, I knew it was going to be hard hitting. The reporter, Fergal Keane is one of the best. He has a way of getting under the skin. I made the choice- I decided to leave the TV on.

The report was introduced by way of a link to Gordon Brown’s current thinking in possibly banning ‘suicide web sites’. These are generally chat sites for young people thinking of committing suicide, often with advice and ‘help’ on how to achieve it.

Fergal Keane was talking to the father of a boy who took his life. They went through the web-chat before he died, including the telling line from one of his ‘suicide friends’; ‘see you on the other side’.

What makes young people so desperate they want to end it? I felt such a deep sadness as I watched the report. And an anger that in the name of freedom of speech such sites exist. I don’t suppose the banning of these sites will stop a determined suicide, but maybe it will just save one life. And even if it’s only one, it’s worth doing.

I finished watching the report last night almost in tears. Such loss of life. Such sadness. Such a young age. Most of us live a sheltered existence. We have no idea of the depth of despair some people face. But maybe I can help. I’m not sure how exactly. My first stop would be my local church. If I can reach just one person and help them through, that’s one less statistic, one less broken family, one life saved.

I’m glad I left the TV on.

No comments: