Sunday 30 December 2007

Church is a family I am part of, not a meeting I go to


‘Church is a family I am part of, not a meeting I go to’. If there is one phrase I will remember Richard Bartrop for, it is that phrase. I had the privilege of working alongside Richard for a time in the late 1990’s and he would repeat the phrase on any and every occasion. Those of us that shared with Richard membership of King’s Church Peterborough are not likely to forget it!

Richard died on Christmas Eve after a long fight with cancer. I remember the first time Roh and I met Richard and Janet. Coming out of a poor church experience, we pitched up as a family at Peterborough Christian Fellowship (later renamed King’s Church) and loved it from that first meeting at South Grove Community Centre. We grew and we shrank (shrinking mainly as a result of Richard following the primary calling of his life and going off to serve the churches in Africa) and we loved it.

I learned a lot from him and it was a privilege to serve alongside him for a while. He lived his life to the max. Incredibly focussed, a great organiser with a truly pastoral heart. He showed, of course, that church is a family I am part of, not a meeting I go to.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I went to school with a Richard A. Bartrop, and he would be about 72 years old now. He lived in Burgess Hill, Sussex and we both went to Haywards Heath Grammar School during the years 1961 to 1968.He was a devout Christian although our joint interest was vintage and classic cars. Richard owned a Vincent Black Shadow motor-cycle combination for a time.

Having lived overseas for more than 40 years my thoughts turned to friends I knew years ago during the Lockdown periods associated with the Covid pandemic. I wonder if I have possibly located the Richard Bartrop that I knew more than 50 years ago? The small black and white photograph certainly looks like him!

Apologies if I am barking up the wrong tree!

Kind regards

David Barry

Ralph Turner said...

Hi David, it sounds likely the same person. I will send your note to his widow Janet, and let you know if she replies. Ralph

Ralph Turner said...

Hello David, I have now heard from Janet. This is her reply:

" it all adds up as Richard went to Haywards Heath grammar school.
I'm happy to respond to David."

David, my email is ralphcturner@gmail.com. Contact me and I'll copy you in to Janet's details.

Cheers
Ralph