Monday 5 November 2007

Finishing the race

I managed to go out running first thing this morning, just round the rowing lake and back. The fact I'm recording it reflects how little running I’ve been doing lately!

I used to do a lot of running and even completed the London Marathon a few years back. My main memory of the race is finishing. As I ran up The Mall, people were cheering me on, calling out to me by name (Tip #1: always put your name on your running vest- people calling out your name after 26 miles is a real energy boost!)

I remember crossing the line. Such a feeling of accomplishment. All the training, pain, hitting the 'wall', running on the cobbles near the Tower of London, nerves and everything else that preceded it (even being overtaken by a 20 foot caterpillar- it was a group of army cadets after all) seemed insignificant compared to finishing. (Tip #2: keep your thoughts on the finish line when it gets tough)

With my friend John dying a couple of weeks back, I’ve been thinking quite a lot about crossing the finishing line. Hopefully I still have a good race to run, but I want to finish well. I want to be able to deal with the tiredness, the pain, the pressures and to finish well. I look forward to thousands cheering me over the line, and to God’s voice saying ‘well done good and faithful servant, enter into the joy of the Lord’. (Tip #3: be sure as to what and who you are running for)

No comments: