Monday 22 October 2007

Disappointment, defeat and victory

What a difference a week makes. A week ago, I had the privilege of going to the new Wembley (magnificent) to see England (average to good) beat Estonia 3-0. I got back home in time to see England (brilliant) beat France in the rugby world cup and reach the final- against the odds.

And then England (average to poor) lost to Russia in the football. Followed by the rugby with England (still brilliant) losing to South Africa in the world cup final. We have quite a number of South Africans at our church- and of course, they were all wearing their rugby shirts yesterday. I tried not to let them in…..

Finally, even Lewis Hamilton (dead cert) couldn’t beat Raikkonen for the Formula 1 championship.

John didn’t live to see it. He fought Motor Neurone disease for over 2 years, but died last week. A friend from my days working at Emap, I saw him grow in his Christian faith- so to put it bluntly, I know where he is! Disappointment and defeat in the sports arena, but triumphant victory for John.

No comments: