Tuesday 31 July 2007

Famous for a minute, known for a lifetime

"In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes". So said Andy Warhol. And it's becoming true before our eyes- Big Brother, X Factor, Apprentice (I like that one!), House Swap, Stars in their eyes, Fat Club, thin club, slim club, cook club, Beenthereseenitdoneit club... Fame for everyone. A fleeting glance at celebrity. But it is so fleeting. I remember who won the first Pop Idol and even who came second and third (shame on me), but who was it who came fourth, fifth etc? Fame for a moment. Not really fame at all.

The Bible tells us God has a design for our lives, planned before we were born. In fact before the world was made. (Check it out: Ephesians 1: 11). We read that God has planned our days, written them down (Psalm 139: 16). Finding out why I'm here gives the best purpose of all. The fact that God thinks I'm 'famous' is better than Any Warhol's 15 minutes could ever be.

No comments: