Friday 6 July 2007

Bryson and Shanghai

I enjoy reading. In fact I get through quite a few books in an average year, with usually 3 or 4 on the go at the same time. A lot of them are Christian books, in hope of understanding at least something more of the amazing God who created me. There are a few novels as well. And I've just started reading my first Bill Bryson book- 'Notes from a small island.' I know- I'm a bit late in getting to Bryson. He's been around for years. But I've only just discovered him- and may not have done that had not Roh (or was it the twins?) bought it for my birthday.

Bryson can be a bit rude, but oh so funny. I found I was laughing out loud, which was rather embarrasing as I was on a flight to Shanghai at the time. Never mind, the guy next to me probably won't see me again. Probably wont want to!

Here's a classic bit of Bryson on age: 'I used to think sex was something more than a welcome chance for a lie down'. Trouble is, I'm not sure I'm laughing at the joke or laughing with the joke! And his chapter on travelling through Oxford is just hilarious. Anyway, I'm now in a hotel in Shanghai. I hope the walls screen out the laughter....

Interesting: Shanghai is so big and new. Hardly an old building in sight. The airport has only been open 7 years and already they are building more terminals and runways.

Dissapointing: Singapore Airlines is a good carrier but have gone a bit far with advertising. I enjoy looking at the air map as we travel, to see what countries and cities we are going over. But Singapore Air have taken to inserting adverts every few minutes for worthy institutions like HSBC. I'm sure they are getting paid well for it, but it's an advertising intrusion too far. Maybe they break in to their films in the same way?!

No comments: