Monday 22 January 2007

Barefoot on the grass

A friend has just asked me to pray for his mum who has been diagnosed with cancer. That's what my mum died of a few years back. So I'll pray- and I know.

We only have one life. And we just don't know how long that life will be. It's the age old question of course, but if you were to die tonight, would you be able to look back on your life with satisfaction? Or maybe with a sense there could have been more?

An old monk was once asked on his deathbed what he would have done differently with his life. Bear in mind he had lived a simple, God loving, life. But he said he would have done something- he would have walked barefoot on the grass more often. Even for him, there were simple things he would have liked to have enjoyed.

Simple things. Family things. Holidays we meant to take. Presents we meant to give. People we meant to call.

So I'm not being morbid, but we only have one life. Don't forget to walk barefoot on the grass.

No comments: