Friday 1 February 2019

Just Another Brick in the Wall?


The song from Pink Floyd was anti-establishment; a protest song. There was a bitterness to it. A cry from a generation of kids brought up in a system that meant they would be nothing, do nothing – just another brick in the wall:

We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teacher leave the kids alone.

 ‘Just Another Brick in the Wall’ was number one in the UK charts for five weeks late in 1979. It followed a tradition of similar songs, attracting the attention of teenagers with angst. ‘Schools Out’ by Alice Cooper was the one I remember from my schooldays. Banned at school, we were put in detention if we were heard singing it.

The thing is, we’re not just bricks in a wall. Every one of us has a story. Every one of us can affect history, write history, change this world.

The Bible tells us we each have a destiny – if we find it, it changes us and those around us. In a world with the perception that we are ‘just bricks’, this is good news!

“For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.’” (Jeremiah 29:11)

I’ve just put a brick in the wall. And it’s not ‘just another brick’. It’s a brick of declaration.

Let me explain.

The Wall is a project to build a sculpture of a million bricks honouring Jesus – it’s a declaration of the Christian faith; a National Landmark of Hope to remind generations of God's goodness. Every brick is sponsored. Every brick tells a story of answered prayer. Once built, next to a busy motorway, over 140,000 people will pass it every day. (Picture shown is one of 5 possible designs).

If you were to line your phone up on brick number 12335 and press the App, this is what it would say:

UNCLE BEN'S PRAYER
In the early 1960's letters started arriving for me, from India. They were from my Uncle, Ben White, a missionary in south India. He was telling me about Jesus - and my parents (not believers at the time) were most concerned! I don't remember any of the contents of the letters- as a child, the stamps on the envelope were more interesting! But God was doing his work and my Uncle's prayers were answered. Both my sister and I became Christians as teenagers, and my Mum became a Christian on her deathbed. Later on, God called me to India- speaking to me in an audible voice. I married an Indian girl, Rohini. My wife and I have been working into India for nearly 30 years now, taking teams most years, rescuing children, supporting churches and declaring the message my Uncle Ben so wanted me to know.

Not just another brick in the wall after all.



No comments: