Saturday 31 March 2012

An Introvert in an Extrovert World

I’m an introvert in an extrovert world. The BBC reports that 92% of the population thinks it is better to be extrovert. (BBC News Magazine, 27/3/12).

I can do the extrovert thing – be social, go to the parties, speak up when it’s needed – but it’s hard work. I prefer to be reflective, spend time on my own, read books. By no means am I a loaner, but I enjoy my own company.

And I’m not alone. The Myers Briggs psychometric test shows there are a third to a half of the UK population that are introvert. And when you dig into the data, you find that some of the best leaders are introverts – maybe because they think and reflect more on the urgent issues before taking action – or before opening their mouth!

I’m in good company anyway. Here’s a few of the more famous introverts: Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, J K Rowling, Julia Roberts, Harrison Ford.

According to Myers Briggs, I’m an INTJ – an introvert who is intuitive and rational. I will leave others to judge! In the meantime, maybe I’ll spend today in my study, reading a book…..



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice one. Been using Myers Briggs a lot recently.. As an ENFP, I like to be in the moment, not too much planning and when there's a decision to make, lets consider what we value, like people, not just logic!