Wednesday 23 March 2011

Up and Running


Twelve years ago I ran the London Marathon. That’s just about long enough to have forgotten the pain...

Having said I would never do it again, here I am, in the middle of hours of training, awaiting 17th April this year. But there’s a good reason for changing my mind.
Roh (my wife) and I have worked into India over the last 12 years. In particular, we have been instrumental in setting up a number of Esther Homes. These are rescue homes for girls. Some are orphans, some are the daughters of rescued sex workers (temple prostitutes) and some are from poor families where no education has been given.
We take these girls in, feed and clothe them, and give them an education- basically a hope and a future.

The main home looks after 25 girls in Hanamkonda near Hyderabad. We lease the building and have to move out later this year. We can lease again of course, but better still would be to buy or build a home. This will cost around £45,000. Cheap in UK terms but a lot in India terms.

So that’s why I’m running the marathon.

At the time of writing I have been able to raise just over £11,500 through corporate donations from companies. Individual sponsorship is now available by copying and pasting the link. Please help all you can to meet our target.

http://www.epoh.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=38&Itemid=60

No comments: