Monday 5 March 2007

Different worlds

I've been out to India about 8 times now over the last 10 years or so. Despite getting used to the different culture to an extent, it is still a struggle to come to terms with such a different world.

I remember the first time I went, one of my work colleagues commented that I was no use back at work for a month or so! It really is that different. I take a team with me each time I go, knowing it will affect each one greatly. They really will not be the same again, such is the culture shock.

So even after all these years, I come back to a well paid job in the business world and wonder whether I should even be doing this sort of work when there is such need elsewhere.

I'm grateful for my job, my family, the relative affluence of the country I live in. But I can't forget the needs I see in India. And while I may not be able to change the whole world, I aim to keep changing India one life at a time.

2 comments:

wiser_now said...

I came across your site while surfing Blogger.

http://www.gfa.org/militants-attack-gfa-bible-college

Maybe you already know this but seeing your heart for India I thought that if you didn't know you would be heartbroken to find out later. I join with you in praying for these brothers and sisters and for the hearts and souls of the ones who inflicted such horror.

Ralph Turner said...

Hello Wiser Now. Thanks for the link. Yes, I did know about this attack. Militant Hindu attacks are getting more frequent, especially in the State of Orissa, where this one took place. You may remember that it was in Orissa that the Australian missionaries were killed a few years back.

One of my Indian pastor friends works there and he and his wife have been beaten up for their faith before now. Lets keep praying!